This is the first comprehensive book to address the increasingly important role of forensic psychologists in consulting and expert witness testimony in child custody litigation. Authors Philip M. Stahl and Robert A. Simon are experienced forensic psychology consultants with a combined 50 years of...
This is the first comprehensive book to address the increasingly important role of forensic psychologists in consulting and expert witness testimony in child custody litigation. Authors Philip M. Stahl and Robert A. Simon are experienced forensic psychology consultants with a combined 50 years of experience. They are uniquely positioned to offer extensive practical advice on understanding the critical psychological dynamics frequently encountered in child custody cases as well as guidance in using your own forensic consultant and testifying expert in complex litigation. Using case examples where critical issues such as the developmental need of children, relocation, domestic violence, and the alienated child are involved, the authors explain a logical process to critique the evaluation reports of others and help you analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your case. Chapters address these topics and more:
- Critical differences between the forensic and clinical mental health professional
- A method for critiquing the work of the neutral court-appointed custody evaluator Potential biases interfering with a forensic report
- Differences between the "behind-the-scenes" consultant whose work remains privileged and the testifying expert whose work is subject to disclosure from the start
- In-depth discussion of important family dynamics and how to address these specific issues at the custody trial
- And much more
Praise for Forensic Psychology Consultation in Child Custody Litigation
"If you can't have Dr. Stahl or Dr. Simon on your team as a consultant, their new book is the very next best thing. Drs. Stahl and Simon have created the 'blueprint' for critically analyzing all aspects of custody evaluationseverything from how to craft the initial order to critically analyzing and dissecting the final report. I wouldn't dare prepare for or go to trial in a custody matter without this book. There is simply no substitute for the solid research and the practical experience that Drs. Stahl and Simon bring to the table. They are at the top of their class in the custody field."
- Mike Kretzmer, Certified Family Law Specialist and Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Law, Law Offices of Michael J. Kretzmer, Los Angeles, CA
"This book is an absolute 'must have' for the family law professional. Whether you litigate or collaborate in family law, the information in this book will help you be better prepared for the mental health childrens issues in your cases. Dr. Stahl and Dr. Simon have hit a home run with this book."
- Scott N. Friedman, Chair-Elect, American Bar Association Family Law Section, Friedman & Mirman Co., Columbus, OH
"Dr. Simon and Dr. Stahl's handbook is an invaluable guide to working with mental health professionals and their reports in custody litigation. It will be the go toresource for preparing for the examination and cross-examination of psychological experts. The authors show you how to defend and attack the methodology used by the experts. The authors have a straight forward style that makes this book a tool you will use in every contested custody matter."
- Peter M. Walzer, Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Walzer & Melcher LLP, Los Angeles, CA
"Dr. Phil Stahl and Dr. Robert Simon are two of the foremost national authorities on forensic child custody matters. This book, filled with their expertise, is a gold mine for any lawyer, or in fact anyone who wants to improve their custody advocacy skills."
- Randall Kessler, Past Chair, ABA Section of Family Law, Founding Partner, Kessler & Solomiany, LLC, Atlanta, GA