The Lobbying Manual, Fourth Edition
provides the reader with a detailed map for compliance with all applicable laws. Complete with dozens of real-world examples, this book guides the attorney through the maze of federal laws and regulations that pertain to lobbying. This 2011 Supplement
provides updates and new material including guidance to the Lobbying Disclosure Act issued by the Secretary of the Senate and the Clerk of the House of Representatives from June 2009 to June 2011; the various Obama Administration initiatives pertaining to registered lobbyists; the opinion of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in National Association of Manufacturers v. Taylor; and a variety of other clarifications and important recent developments.
Chapter 21, on federal campaign finance, has been substantially rewritten and updated to reflect changes in the law, including the impact of the landmark 2010 Supreme Court decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. That chapter now also incorporates the material of Chapter 22 dealing with lobbyist bundling of campaign contributions, bringing together in one place all of the material pertaining to the federal law of bundling.
The book features several entirely new chapters: one on the Obama Ethics Pledge, another on "honest services" fraud, and two dealing with the practice of lobbying, including perspectives on the lobbying profession and the Noerr-Pennington doctrine. There is also an entirely new Part V with two chapters offering comparative perspectives on, respectively, the lobbying laws of Canada and those of the European Community and its members. These should be of significant interest to practitioners whose clients do business abroad.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 3 UPDATE - The Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995: Scope of Coverage
- Chapter 4 UPDATE - Registration, Quarterly Reporting, and Related Requirements
- Chapter 5 UPDATE - Semiannual Reports on Contributions and Disbursements by Registrants and Lobbyists
- Chapter 6 UPDATE - Administration and Enforcement of the LDA and Miscellaneous Lobbying Restrictions
- Chapter 7 UPDATE - Constitutional Issues Raised by the Lobbying Disclosure Act
- Chapter 12 UPDATE - Foreign Agents Registration Act 27
- Chapter 21 UPDATE - Federal Campaign Finance Law: A Primer for the Lobbyist
- Chapter 25A - Restrictions on Appointees Imposed by Executive Order 13,490
- Chapter 26A - Skilling and the Demise of the Crime of Honest Services Fraud
- Chapter 28 UPDATE - The Structure and Organization of Congress and the Practice of Lobbying
- Chapter 36 UPDATE - Lobbyists and Election Law: The New Challenge
- Chapter 40 - Practical Perspectives on the Practice of Lobbying
- Chapter 41 - Lobbying and the Antitrust Laws
- Chapter 42 - Lobbying and Lobbyist Registration in Canada
- Chapter 43 - The Regulation of Lobbying in Europe
- Table of Cases